site stats

Rules of the Game!! Rules of the Game!! 35mm Restoration!!!

At long last, I'll get to see one of the greatest films ever made in history on the big screen and in the best theater in all of Ottawa! A newly restored 35mm print of Rules of the Game, Jean Renoir's 1939 masterpiece is coming to the Bytowne in February. Religiously found on every respectable best-of-all-time film list. It's the only film to have made it on every single edition of Sight & Sound's critics poll taken once a decade, coming in 10th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd. Wow! Can you say timeless indeed?

Just seeing the few snippets of the film shown during the trailer (before Volver) had me jumping up and down in my chair, giddy with anticipation. Perhaps the most efficient way to describe my excitement would be to say that I gave Volver a full four stars, and yet the highlight of my night was still simply being able to watch that trailer in a darkened theater, and having its memorable images overwhelm me all over again. If that's an indication of anything, I can't imagine how excited I'll be come opening night, watching this masterpiece along with all the other hardcore Rules/Renoir fans. (Official re-release site with higher quality trailer)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home